Real fur is undoubtedly a very grandiose material. But just like you can go for a totally polished look, you can choose a sheepskin jacket instead. Such jackets have timeless appeal and will keep you warm too. The look of a sheepskin Coat is quite rich and has a uniform look. It is the most comfortable clothing in a very cold climate. It is also very soft and supple to touch. A sheepskin jacket is very comfortable to wear as it is soft. There are some facts about sheepskin jackets you probably are not aware of.
What is a sheepskin coat?
Sheepskin is also known as lambskin or mouton(French) is the name of jackets that look like leather coats from the exterior part but on the interior part have fur of the same skin. You will also see them, as shearling which means “From outside skin from inside fur” or Toscana (named after the Italian town Toscana). Sheepskin is genuine leather with 100% natural wool that provides the best protection against cold, wind, humidity, and other weather conditions, and allows you to maintain a healthy body temperature.
High quality of sheepskin leathers is considered to be those that are soft and light and usually come from Spain and Italy. It is characteristic that sheepskin leathers are elastic, they do not wrinkle when worn and they remain in good condition for several years.
Depending on the type and thickness of the skin, the density or the length of the hair, the gloss and the softness are divided into different categories:
- Those with thick skin and hair are usually used to make aviator-style jackets, known as aviator style.
- Sheepskin pelts that are thinner and have shiny hair, called merinos, are used for more elegant jackets and coats.
- Sheepskins with long hair are called Toscana.
- Napato is called the jacket which is shiny on the exterior side and not suede like most of the other sheepskin jackets.
How a sheepskin jacket is made?
The softest shearling pelts are taken from young lambs and not grown sheep. The latter provides the rougher pelts commonly known as sheepskin, but this may not be what you have in mind when you actually want a soft shearling coat. Moreover, in top-quality coats, the best pelts are chosen, and they are selected to match. They may be needed up to three pelts for a full-length coat. The pelts must be hand-cut by an expert craftsman, and then sewn together to fashion the coat.
Sheepskin jackets produced in Greece, have been made under ecological process and dyeing according to the instructions of the European Union (CE). They are very warm, easy to wear, and durable, but they also have an attractive appearance at a very affordable price and can be fitted to every body type.
How to take care of sheepskin jackets?
Sheepskin jacket care routine is the same as fur coat care routine. There are some instructions which should be followed:
- Never put the coat into a washing machine or a dryer! Sheepskin jackets need to be either dry cleaned or “air-dried”. A washing machine and a dryer are splendid will cause damage to your jacket.
- Frequent small cleanings are the best choice. Do not let dirt get heavily soiled into the jacket – as it can be very difficult to remove. Instead, clean the jacket soon after it gets dirty.
- Keep the jacket away from open flames or high heat sources! This not only will damage the shearling but can also damage the leather too.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to strong sunlight – such as hanging the jacket in sunny windows for weeks. This can bleach out the jacket.
- Long-term storage. Use a cloth garment bag that allows for air movement instead of a plastic bag.
- Give the jacket some space. Hang the jacket loosely – not stuffed tightly among other clothes.
- When wet, just let the jacket air-dry naturally.
- Prefer professional cleaning your coat should be cleaned every year by a professional fur cleaner-not a dry cleaner.